When consulting a licensed house inspector, you have to look at three deal-breakers .
Three Things A Registered House Inspector Can Help You With
- Safety – This is a deal breaker during the holidays when your family goes off for a while in a vacation. There are steps you can take to make it airtight.
- Maintenance – Garage doors are the largest exterior fixtures your home has so this should be number one concern especially if you have small children!
- Weatherproofing – Though snow may only happen during winter, it’s wise to know that it’s not just freezing temp you need to be worried about when doing this tuneup.
Let’s break them down a bit one by one in the next few sections.
Home Inspection Report Tips
Conduct monthly tests – Usual tests include force setting, photo eye, visual inspection, reversing mechanism, and door balance. In Mississauga each test if done by a professional house inspector or personally after a consultation, provides separate useful insights into which areas will need more attention in the future or right away. For example, door balance tests will inform you if your automatic garage door doesn’t lift smoothly. If it does not remain open or you have difficulty doing so for something very trivial, a service technician is what you need to look at the problem. Photo eye tests measure efficient reversing and reopening, visual inspections check the entirety of the system and how it sounds, reversing mechanism helps identify reverse feature malfunctions and force setting when closing force becomes extremely excessive.
Semi-annual tests – Lubrication is needed twice a year to keep the hinges working properly.
Remember, these tests must be done on a regular basis so you’re always assured that your garage door is working at its mint condition all year round. Please also make sure that it’s clear with your kids that you have rules with regards garages and its components. They should know that remotes and openers are not toys, and are only intended for adult usage.
Safety Concern Awareness During House Inspection In Mississauga
To avoid any break-ins while you’re away for a trip, here are four areas you can look at:
- Garage door openers – Make sure you don’t leave something as important as a door remote inside your car! Put it somewhere more hidden and difficult to find for outsiders but easier to remember on your end.
- Keys – When duplicating car keys just use photos for servicing. Don’t leave keys exposed and keep spare keys stored in more secured spots.
- Locks – They should work as intended with no deadbolts, misalignments or breaks otherwise they won’t provide you the maximum protection.
- Forced entry deterrents – Try installing door reinforcement kits that protect three vulnerable areas: door edge, hinges and jamb.
Weatherproofing Never Looked Easier
During colder months (especially if you are living in Toronto and need to visit a house inspector), insulation is your top concern. Air-tight garages will use less heat, retain warmth longer and help your family prevent potentially harmful toxins to enter your home. During winter, one common problem is a freezing door. Avoid this by employing table salt for corrective measures and using weather sealants and garage heaters for preventive measures. If snow buildup ensues, removing it from sight can help ease the complication.
Our offer to residents of Toronto, Richmond Hill, Markham, New Market, Vaughan, Thornhill, Brampton, Hamilton, Mississauga and all the GTA is to reach out us at (647) 861-4499 or fill the contact form for a free consult with a house inspector to get help with garage problems, today!
Inspect My House Toronto