How to take benefits of Pre Purchase Inspection in Toronto and The GTA – You are about to buy a house, going through some useful negotiations to fix the price and everything. But you may be missing out on something important. Do you know the age of your house? In technical terms it is called dating a house. Does it really matter if the house looks good? Yes it does for a number of reasons and dating a house must form part of your pre purchase inspection checklist.
Why is Dating a House important through pre purchase inspection ?
A house is a combination of many components and systems of which some have a definite life span. A pre purchase home inspection will help you in dating them to provide useful information about the replacement of such systems/components in due course of time. Some air conditioners have a life expectancy of 10-15 years so house built 10-15 years ago will likely be in need a new air conditioner shortly. Certain other components like asphalt or asbestos roofing may need a change soon after you buy the house. Dating the house through a pre purchase home inspection will help you negotiate the price keeping in view the expenditures which you are likely to incur in near future. You can also ask the seller to get the stuff done before the sale proceeds.
Some pre purchase inspection tips and tricks to date a house
A professional pre purchase building inspection can accurately date a house through some simple tips and tricks. Here are some of them interesting ones:
- Pick up dates from curbs, sidewalks and local manhole covers to establish a fairly good idea of the age of local subdivision.
- If your house has thermal pane windows then they usually have a metallic strip separating the two glass panes. On that metal strip is found the window manufacturer’s name, an associated CMHC number, and window’s manufacturing date. However this information can be tricky as it may be indicative of the age of the window. The house may be older than that. Checking several windows is a nice way to figure out how old the house is or the date when all of the windows were upgraded.
- If the house in Toronto and The GTA is roughly constructed in the last 20 – 25 years, a sticker can be found on the outer cover of the electrical panel indicating when the house was first possessed. This is usually the age of the house.
- If the water heater or furnace is original, it would have a tell tale gas inspection sticker. Look for it on either of these appliances. This helpful pre purchase inspection trick would tell you the age of the house with good amount of certainty.
- Porcelain plumbing fittings come with the manufacturing date stamped somewhere on them. You can easily find it off a toilet. Just take off the lid, find the date stamped on the lid underside. You can also find it inside the tank close to water line. If you are sure that the bathroom hasn’t been renovated then this is the age of the house.
These are just some of the tips which can help you assess the age of a house. Assuming that you are living in Toronto, Markham, Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Vaughan, Aurora, King, Stouffville , Brampton, Pickering, Scarborough, Mississauga and the rest of the GTA you can cal us at (647) 861-4499 or fill the Contact us form to get full information about the pre purchase inspection cost.
Inspect My House Toronto